AV6418C OTDR is a high-performance multifunctional test instrument designed for FFTx network. It’s mainly used to measure the physical characteristics of optical fiber & cables including length, transmission loss and splice loss etc. It can also accurately detect the potions of the events (such as splices, far end and breaks) along the optical fiber line. It’s widely applied to the engineering construction, maintenance test, and urgent repairing of optical fiber communication system, as well as the R&D, manufacturing, and test of optical fiber & cables.
AV6418C OTDR adopts the most advanced technology of double color & material integrative mould, which makes it novel and beautiful in appearance, strong and firm in structure. With both touch screen and keypad, the operation is quite convenient. The built-in advanced antireflection LCD makes the operation interface clearly visible even in the field. The instrument has 4-path of optical interface, which can simultaneously realize the functions of optical power meter, VFL, single-mode and multi-mode test. The connector type is exchangeable, which makes it more convenient to clean the end surface of the fiber. The instrument has multiple external interfaces. It can realize not only the remote control via Ethernet interface, but also the data communication with U disk, printer and PC via two different types of USB interfaces. The test result can be saved in the instrument, or to the SD card via SD interface. With large capacity lithium battery, AV6418C OTDR can continuously work over 8 hours, which is very suitable for field work.
- ≤0.8m ultra-short event dead zone, easy to test optical fiber jumper;
- 45 dB large dynamic range, 256k data sampling points;
- the most advanced technology of double color & material integrative mould, strong and firm
- Advanced antireflection LCD, clear display interface in field
- Various test modes, touch screen and keypad operation;
- Automatic detection of the communication light signal;
- Remote control via Ethernet
- Two USB interfaces: can connect to the external U disk, or communicate with PC through SyncActive software
- Support Bellcore GR196 and SR-4731 file format;
- Alarm on battery low voltage;
- WinCE window operation system, Chinese/English operation interface
- Built-in visible fault locator (VFL) and optical power meter function
- Exchangeable optical output connector, more convenient for surface cleaning
- On-line upgrading of application software, no need to return back to the manufacturer
Ultra-short event dead zone
AV6418C has ≤0.8m ultra-short event dead zone, which is especially suitable to test the short optical fiber line and optical fiber jumper.
High-speed curve analysis
AV6418C can rapidly and accurately analyze and find the event points or fault points in the testing curve, and further list all event information in the form of event table, which is very helpful for maintenance personnel, because they can well know the information of the tested line just through the event table.
High-speed automatic test
With the automatic measurement function of AV6418C OTDR, users can easily conduct the test with no need to know about the operation details. The steps are simple: just connect the fiber, and press [Start], then the instrument will automatically set the optimum test conditions and display accurate test results, such as testing curve and event table etc.
PON network test function
AV6418C is an ideal test instrument for FTTx, with special built-in PON network test function. It can conduct high-precision test on all branches of PON network through 1:8～1:64 optical divider.
Visual fault locator (VFL) function
The built-in VFL function of AV6418C has 3 operating modes: CW / 1Hz / 2Hz. VFL can rapidly and conveniently find the breaking point or remarkable loss point along the short-distance optical fiber line, so that the maintenance personnel can take steps in short time.
Automatic detection & alarm on the communication light signal
When measuring a fiber line in service, if there is communication light signal in the fiber, the result will be inaccurate, and it may even cause permanent damage to the optical detector in the instrument. AV6418C is capable of automatically detecting the communication light signal in the fiber under test once the fiber is connected to the optical connector. If there is light signal, it will alarm, so that to provide protection for the instrument in time.
Multiple external interfaces
AV6418C offers multiple external interfaces as standard configuration, such as USB, Min-USB, Ethernet, earphone and SD interface, which can realize functions as follows:
- Connection with external U disk or SD card
- Connection with external printer based on USB interface
- Data communication with PC
- Remote control via Ethernet
- Connection with earphone
AV6418C high-performance OTDR offers three test modes: manual (real-time, average), automatic, and dead zone.
Manual test mode: manual mode is suitable for skilled operators who are familiar with the instrument, so that to get more accurate test result. In manual test mode, real-time mode or average mode can be selected based on user demand.
Real-time test can rapidly detect the dynamic changes of the optical fiber line. It is applied to real-time monitor or to observe the optical fiber connection process and effect.
Average test mode can maximumly suppress the noise in the testing curve, so to get a more accurate result. Under average mode, the more average times, the better suppression of the noise, but the longer time it takes. So, in practice, the average times should be set properly according to necessity.
Automatic test mode: under this mode, the instrument can automatically set the optimized test conditions, and give out the test result. There is no need for the operators to know about the complicated background knowledge and the operation details. To enhance the automatic test efficiency, the average times can be increased properly, though it will prolong the test time.
Dead zone mode: this mode is suitable to test the optical fiber with short distance, for example, to test the jumper length of the optical fiber. Under this mode, to get the best result, the reflection loss (or called return loss) of the fiber terminal is required to be larger than 40dB.
- VFL (optional module):
Operating wavelenth: 650 nm ± 20 nm
Output power: 2 mW (typ.)
Operating mode: CW, 1 Hz, 2Hz
- Optical power meter (optional module):
Wavelength range: 1200 nm ～ 1650 nm
Power range: -60 ～ 0 dBm
Test uncertainty: ±5% (-25 dBm, CW)
- Stable light source (optional module):
Operation wavelength: same with OTDR
Output power: ≥ -5 dBm
Operating mode: CW, 270Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz
Technical specifications of AV6418C OTDR standard modules (1)
- One and only standard module must be selected.
- Environment temperature: 23℃±2℃, Max. pulse width, average times＞300, SNR=1
- Dead zone test mode (range≤1.6km, pulse width: 5ns), fiber end reflection loss≥40dB, typical value
- Dead zone test mode (range≤1.6km, pulse width: 5ns), fiber end reflection loss≥50dB, typical value
- AV6418C-001: U-disk
- AV6418C-002: SD card
- AV6418C-003: Communication with PC
- AV6418C-004: Standby Battery pack (model 6417LB-1192)
- AV6418C-005: LC, SC, ST adapters
- AV6418C-006: Optical fiber jumper (FC/UPC to FC/APC)
- AV6418C-007: Optical fiber jumper (FC/UPC to SC/UPC)